GASP! Gulf Area Sea Paddlers
This section of the GASP!
web page is for the discussion of sea kayaking destinations including parks,
favorite paddling spots, day trips and multi-week trips. Trip reports are
*always* welcome! It is ok to also include outfitters with destinations.
All reports are copyrighted by the author and may only be reproduced
with that author's permission.
This page includes:
on launch points and take outs, distances
Links to More Information on Destinations
Trip Reports and Other Stories
All reports are copyrighted by the author and may only be reproduced
with that author's permission. Some of the following reports are submissions
to the GASP! email list and the order is generally by the most recent first.
- Texas Kayaking - Ken Johnson tells the
GASP! email list what it is he likes so much about paddling the Texas coast
that he decided to make it his home - a response to a message on the GASP!
list from another paddler who declared it was unreasonable to find any "neat
stuff" along the Texas and Louisiana coast. We disagree....
- Thanksgiving Trip Report - Tx -
by Natalie Wiest. A paddle across Espiritu Santo Bay, a portage over
Matagorda Island to camp out on the Gulf side. Dolphins, surfing,
wildlife and Thanksgiving feast with a finish paddle in Port O'Connor.
- Cedar Key Debacle - by Deb Hawkins.
A learning experience paddling with new paddlers
- Cedar Key, Full Moon - by Deb
Hawkins. A moonlight solo paddle in Florida's Cedar Key. Photo included.
- Cheerful Isles of Dementia - Paddling Mississippi's Barrier Islands
- by Jackie Fenton. Remote barrier islands with white sandy beaches and
tall pine trees, alligators and osprys, hundreds of stingrays and horseshoe
crabs are the setting for several days of paddling the Mississippi Sound and
its islands of colorful history. Photos included.
- Cedar Key = Sand Dollar Graveyard
- by Deb Hawkins. A fun story of delightful discovery when Deb paddles upon
a sea floor covered in the ever elusive whole sand dollar. Photos included.
- A Paddler's World - by Dave Voiles. A
short story about an evening paddle near Pensacola, Florida, where Dave
playfully reveals his thoughts and fun imagination of a sea kayaking outing.
- Okefenokee Swamp Kayak Camping Adventure
- by Deb Hawkins. A kayaking trip into the Okefenokee Swamp, Folkston,
Georgia, in February, 1996. Photos included.
- Silver River
- by Deb Hawkins. A kayaking journey along Silver River, "one
of the prettiest rivers in Florida." Photos included.
- Cape Lookout National Seashore, Outer Banks, NC
- by Bob Griebel. A solo kayaking trip in the Core Sound and
the lower of the two big islands in March, 1995 - Includes contact information.
- Two Days of Paddling Warm and Sunny
Florida in the Middle of January!
Two short submissions to the GASP! email list by Dave Voiles who describes two
sunny outings in Florida at Perdido Bay and Paradise beach in mid-January which generate a
humorous response from Bob Griebel, suffering the pains of cabin fever from
a long and cold winter in his area.
Paddling Destination Details
These articles contain specific descriptions for paddling destinations such
as launch points, distances, what the paddler might expect to see, etc.
Links To More Information On Destinations
National Parks Maps Galore! - Good detail, slow to
download the maps (cause they are HUGE!) but this is just the list of what
Maps made avialable by Avis - United
States and Caribbean
- Gulf Islands National
Seashore - National Park Service, includes contact information,
park information, and area
Great Outdoors Recreation Pages - Florida - Everything you want to know
about the Florida outdoors with links to such places as Florida's National
Parks, Florida's National Forests, Wilderness Areas, State Parks, Wildlife
Refuges and Marine Sanctuaries and more!
- Discover Marco
Island - Nature, Parks and Preserves. Includes info on Collier-
Seminole State Park, Everglades National Park, Fakahatchee Strand State
Preserve (63,172 acre preserve), Florida National Scenic Trail. Also,
- Marco Island -
the largest of Florida's Ten Thousand Islands, located on the Gulf of
Mexico in Southwest Florida
- National Park Service -
Area Chamber of Commerce
- Map of the Everglades Huge file, slow to download,
map presented on-line by the University of Texas. Indicates campgrounds
(primitive and non), Florida Bay, and Wilderness Waterway.
Great Outdoor Recreation Pages - Everglades - Info on camping, trails,
photos, list of retail books and maps, etc.
- Wild Florida Online -
A webzine with outdoor information for Florida. Includes articles, photos,
- National Park
Service - Big Cypress National Preserve
- National Park Service map of Big Cypress Nat'l Park
- Includes legend and campsites (primitive and non), trails, etc. Large file.
- National Park Service map of Biscayne Nat'l Park - Includes
legend and campsites (primitive and on), trails, etc.
Great Outdoor Recreation Pages - Big Cypress - 729,00 acre preserve.
- Florida Campgrounds -
A very long list of RV parks & campgrounds in Florida with graphic regional
- Florida Keys National Marine
- The Florida Keys and Key West
- General information on the keys.
- Texas Parks and Wildlife
on Texas State Parks - Gulf Coast Region
- Padre Island National Seashore
- Aransas National
Wildlife Refuge - 100,000 acre refuge 85 miles north of Corpus
Christi playing an important role in saving the whooping crane.
- Great Outdoors
Recreation Pages - Texas - Texas' National Parks, State Parks, National
Forests, Wildlife Refuges/Marine Sanctuaries, etc.
Maps of Texas
- Corpus Christi
Visitor Information - Information on parks, camping, points of
interest and attractions.
- Corpus Christi Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Tourism - Info on Aransas National Wildlife Refuge, Dolphin Connection, Fulton Mansion, Goose Island State Park, Naval Station Ingleside, Rockport Center for the Arts, Texas Maritime Museum
- Galveston Nautical Map - From the University of Texas.
Not a navigational map. Large file includes Galveston Island, Pelican Island,
section of Bolivar Penninsual.
- Information on the
Caribbean and the Bahamas
A lot of good information and photos on the many islands in the Caribbean
area including some nice photos and maps with detailed descriptions
on exploring the Bahamas.
- Caribbean National Forest - Approximately 28,000
acres in size, and is located in the rugged Sierra de Luquillo, southeast of
- The Consummate Website for All
Things Belize - Links to many Belize related sites including the
weather, Newspaper, photography, holidays, and special events, etc.
- Barbados Tourism
Encyclopedia - official site of the Barbados Tourism Authority.
One stop site for all tourism information on Barbados.
- Barbados General
- Adventurous Traveler
Bookstore for Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America
information for Trinidad & Tobago - includes losts of links
to information about Trinidad and Tobago
- The Essential Trinidad
and Tobago Homepage
Costa Rica's TravelNet - All kinds of information about traveling
in Coast Rica. Includes maps, photos, National Parks, etc.
Back to GASP's home page